This post is sponsored by Wayfair. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Fall For DIY
There might be less of us around the table this year, but that’s no reason not to make Christmas feel as special as every other year. In fact I’d say we all need a little extra festive magic to top off 2020. So this is the year to get creative and make the little details feel personal and magical.
These DIY Orange Half Candles are such a treat at this time of year. Light them early in the evening to enjoy that warm festive feeling that candles always give off in the winter. These candles will fill your home with sweet citrus smells making you feel instantly in the mood for a good (or bad) Christmas movie or your favourite festive playlist!
I love these candles so much I’ve created a centerpiece around them. Using this cake stand from Wayfair I’ve created a winter meadow of dried flowers with some added festive decorations to give it a wintery look.
I’ve styled the rest of the table in a warm, wintery way to create a slightly different seasonal feel with a festive twist. These plates are fantastic to use as a charger or to eat straight off. And speaking of eating, this cutlery is not only gorgeous but incredibly affordable.
Perhaps my favourite part of the table are these stunning champagne glasses. I love using Wayfair to find these really rare, special pieces you can’t source elsewhere!
To create the floral centrepiece i’ve added dried flowers to a garland base, adding in various decorations and baubles. Keep the look simple with stars, some twinkly lights and natural elements from the Wayfair Christmas range.
DIY Scented Orange Candle Tutorial
- Soy wax
- Orange extract
- Candle wicks
- Wick holder
- Pyrex glass bowl
- Small pan
- Using a knife slice the orange in half. Cut the flesh away from the peel and scoop it out with a spoon. Take out as much as you can leaving only the peel.
- Place a small pan filled about a quarter full with water on the heat. In the pan place a heat resistant glass bowl. Melt the soy wax in the bowl over a low heat. Once melted turn the heat off and leave the wax to cool slightly before pouring.
- Add a few drops of orange essential oil to the wax to create a warm festive scent.
- Take a wick and dip the metal wick sustainer (the metal at the end of the wick) into the wax. Hold this down on the bottom of the hollowed out orange until the wax is dry and the wick is set in place. If you have a wick holder put it in place now. Otherwise you can use skewers or sticks to hold it in place.
- Carefully pour the wax into the orange peel. Fill the peel to the top with wax.
- Pick off a few fresh rosemary leaves and sprinkled them into the surface of the wax. Leave the wax to start setting, then sprinkle a few more so they sit on the surface of the candle. Once the wax is fully set remove the wick holder and trim the wick to around 1 cm.
Light the candle and enjoy the warm glow and festive scents!