With Christmas fast approaching here’s hoping you have mostly women to make for… right, in a perfect world. Fear (k)not (ha ha ha…) tomorrow we’re making one for the boys. We’ll be using this Monkey Knot technique so pay attention!
1. Using dyes or watered down acrylic paints, dye metre long lengths of yarn in whatever colours you like. (I like the bright ones.)
2. Wrap the (dried) yarn around your hand three times, then wrap around the middle of these three times. (Shown above)
3. Thread the yarn around the second three strands in the middle of the original three. (whoa, getting complex now. Follow the pictures below)
4. Starting at the top, pull the loops through to tighten the knot. Pull the loop furthest away from the end of the cord and work towards the end pulling all the cords through. I’ve made a video tutorial of the whole process that I think helps with this technique. You can see that here
5. Trim the ends and glue to keep them secure.
6. Spread glue onto the earring stud post and press the knot onto it for a few minutes and leave to dry.
So that’s Monkey knots for the ladies. Same time, same place tomorrow for Monkey Knots for the gents! Sign up for our Email list to get a Monthly Zine, including an overview of all our DIYs, inspirations and news so you’ll never miss a thing!
Totally gonna make this !!
These are adorable! what a great idea. Pinned!
Pullin this knot tight is the hardest thing I’ve ever done! Especially with hemp twine. I give up. Super cute but making the knot tight is difficult.
Francesca Stone says
Ashley! I know, it took me 20 goes to get it right, but I have developed a technique that makes it a lot easier. I’ve made a video this morning and once I’m done editing I’ll put it up. Hopefully that will help you out a bit.
Thanks for getting in touch xx
Here’s the link to the video: http://www.fallfordiy.com/blog/2013/12/how-to-make-the-monkey-knot.html
Great idea but not easy for me
Did you use hemp yarn for this, or could I use regular yarn?
I used parcel string. You could use any cord you like for this!
What kind of glue did you use?
Hey Tadika, it’s just a regular all purpose glue. I use UHU :)
nail designs says
Amy Nickerson says
Love this tutorial! Can’t wait to try this. Do you have any helpful hints or tips for dying the cord with acrylic paint? Thanks
James Anderson says
Petite eyewear is a type of eyewear that is designed to be less wide than normal eyewear. Petite eyewear has been around for many years and was first used by women who were smaller than the average woman. Today, petite eyewear is still used by women who want to look fashionable and stylish but do not want to go through the trouble of finding a pair of glasses that are too big for them. Additionally, petite eyewear can be purchased in many different styles and colors so that each woman can find something that fits her needs perfectly. There are many different brands available as well as many different types of frames. Some people prefer sunglasses over regular glasses because they like the way they look better on their face.