I’m a little late to the antler party. Living with the vegan boy means decorating the house with animal parts (for want of a better word) is pretty much a no go. Even though I always loved the natural aesthetic of stag antlers and animal hide it weighed on my conscious and it’s just something I don’t think I could live with but when it comes to making faux animal accessories I’m totally on board! But I’m guessing that doesn’t surprise anyone here, and while we’re at it why not make it a little more colourful?
- Air dry clay
- Masking tape
1. Using wet hands work a piece of air dry clay into a long point to create the main body of the antler. Smooth cracks in the clay as you go.
2. Make several of these in various lengths. These will be the branches so the bigger the antler the more you’ll need to make.
3. Blend the branches onto your base horn. Use water to create smooth joins and add extra clay to give the joins a realistic, organic look.
4. Attach all the branches along the main piece coming off at different angles.
5. Smooth down the whole piece sealing up any cracks in the clay.
6. To get the antler to stand in position hold it in place and gently press onto the base to give the clay a flat surface to sit on. Think about how the antler is balancing to create a base that is sturdy.
7. Leave the clay to harden over night. Once it’s dry lightly sand to create a smooth surface.
8. Tape off the tips and paint in your favourite colours. Once the paint is dry peal back the tape.
I’ve used my antler as a ring holder but you can decorate with these or create really cute coat hooks with them… I really want to do this now I’ve just thought of it! Where’s my clay?
Alina Vilhjalmsdottir says
Love this idea, I have wanted to make something with antlers but haven’t found any. Great idea for a replacement.
This is such a cute idea. I have wanted some antlers for my mantle but the ones I saw were way too expensive and didn’t really match my decor, this is so much cheaper and cuter!
I would love to use these as coat hooks, but would they really hold the weight?
Monique | WritingMonique says
This is so cute! Perfect as Jewelry holder!
So cute!! <3
Ashley Price says
this is beautiful! going to try this right now! xx