April Fools! No this is not a real gem stone… lol. Anyway…
Precious stones and sparkly gems are going no where in a hurry so I decided to try out another faux crystal jewellery tutorial. Rather than make another DIY pendant necklace I saw an opportunity to make these elegant faux labradorite Geometric Drop Earrings.
I think one of my favourite things about these earrings is that they can be worn in two different ways. The chain in slipped onto the earring post before putting it in the ear and can be easily removed leaving a small and understated faux labradorite stud. I guess this is the day to disco of accessories!
1.5mm Gold Copper Wire
5cm Small Link Chain
Black and White Polymer Clay
4 x Jump Rings
The first part of this tutorial follows the same steps as my DIY Faux Geode Pendant below. Follow the first two steps of this tutorial and then come back and follow the rest of this tutorial:
To make the droplet:
1. Bend your flattened wire around a cylindrical object to make a rounded drop shape and cut any excess off the end.
2. Mix small pieces of black polymer clay into the white. Keep mixing until you have a grey marble effect then break up small flecks of black clay and roll the grey marble into them.
3. Halve the clay mixture and squash each half into the droplets.
4. Use a craft knife to cut slices from the dome to create the geometric shape.
To make the stud:
1. Gather up the leftover polymer clay shavings and roll them into a ball. Use your knife to cut it in half. These will be your stud.
2. Bake the droplets and the studs in the oven on a medium heat for about half an hour.
3. Glue the stud domes to the earring posts and leave to dry.
4. Cut the chain into two and attach one jump ring to each end of the chain. Attach one end to the drops and thread the other end onto the earring post.
So which do you prefer. Simple studs or droplets?
Amy @ Homey Oh My! says
Wow. These are gorgeous! I’m for sure more of a simple studs girl, but droplets are so pretty when they’re simple like this.
You make the prettiest jewelry, Francesca!
Oh wow I really love these <3
Came here from Reddit! I was about to Pin this when I realized you’re the one who made the concrete heart necklace tutorial! I LOVED that. I just looked through your tutorials and I’m soo happy you have one that looks like faux druzy earrings :) I’ve been looking all over for something like that. Thanks for making all these great tutorials!
very cute! How do you come up with this!?
Yet another gorgeous faux gem-style project! You have the best ideas :)
It’s so nice that you can make these from wire and clay only, mostly you have to buy some stuff for jewelery like this. Love them
These look so high quality! One question though: Is the jump ring actually attached to the post or is it only held there by an earring backing. I would be worried that the two pieces would be seperated in my mound of earrings!
These earrings are perfectly gorgeous! I featured a photo in my weekly round-up. It’s clearly attributed to you and linked back with photo and text links. Happy Sunday!
Thanks Heidi, Love it!
These are great. I’m going to try them too. I want to do everything I like, but the lack of time stopped me, but these do not take too much time of money. Thanks!
the best nice article
Hi! I tried this and it looks amazing! The only issue I’m having is the clay is not as secure as I hoped for and I’m nervous it will fall out while I’m wearing the earring haha. What would you recommend I do? Or do differently?
Inspired Silver says
My sister suggested I would possibly like this blog. He was once entirely right. This submit actually made my day.
jewelry stores says
These DIY drop earrings are awesome ideas. Thanks for sharing.