January 27, 2014

DIY Concrete Love Hearts Necklace

For the past couple of weeks I've been well and truly landed firmly on the concrete DIY band wagon. I love the mixture of rough and smooth textures you get when working with raw concrete and I've wanted to explore using the material in jewellery making now for some time. So I whipped out (who am I kidding, I never put it away) my new fondant gemstone mould and got to work. I've been experimenting with consistency, colour and dyes to make the pastel shades. I'll be posting more about that another time so pop over to Bloglovin and follow Fall For DIY so you don't miss it!

Materials:

concrete love hearts fall for diy

concrete love heart fall for diy

Instructions:

1. Mix your concrete. Don't worry about measurements (I don't). Just put a little concrete mix and water in a throw away plastic container and mix until you have a consistency like double cream or tahini or there abouts.

2. Rub a very thin layer of Vaseline over the mould and pour in enough concrete to fill the shape/s you require.

3. Leave to dry in a warm place for 12 - 24 hours. When the concrete is dry you should see it coming away from the edge of the mould.

4. Once fully dry use a strong glue to attach a bail to the back. I've made my bail from a cord end. Unfolding both sides to create a flat surface.

5. Once dry attach the pendant to a chain. See my tutorials on Using Jump Rings and Making a Necklace from Chain for help doing this.

Give to you best friend for Valentines or keep for yourself... or both!

follow Fall For DIY on Bloglovin follow Fall For DIY on Instagram follow Fall For DIY on Twitter follow Fall For DIY on Facebook follow Fall For DIY on Pinterest

51 thoughts on “DIY Concrete Love Hearts Necklace

1. Francesca Stone

Hi Jillian,
    That is a very interesting question! I’ve been experimenting with dyes and I’ve actually made a tutorial for another site about it. Only thing is they haven’t posted it yet and I’m not sure how much I can reveal about the details. As soon as that goes up I’ll post a link about it on here!
    Now, I think glitter would be amazing. Concrete generally tends to be quite forgiving so I imagine it will work well. Maybe test a very small amount in a pot to see if it dries correctly and check the ratios of glitter to concrete to create a nice aesthetic. If you give it a go I’d love to see any results you have! Stay in touch :)
    Fran

2. Gudeer

Here
    are some gorgeous necklaces with rainbow and neon colors mostly handmade in soft natural materials, I thought perfect as special gifts for girls but I’d totally wear them too

3. Francis van Kleeff

Hi Francesca, thank you for this great diy project. I have the mould and the concrete but I doesn’t dry as hard as I thought. I can break the pendants very easily. Is that also the case with yours or are they really hard?
    Thanks, Francis (Netherlands)

4. Francesca Stone

Hi Francis.
    Yeah, I have had that problem with some of the batches. I’ve worked out that the thicker the consistency of the concrete the harder the pendants are. I’m also working on a tutorial to ‘back’ the pendant. Hopefully have that up for you guys soon!

5. Laura Mcgrath

absolutely love your style and these tutorials so much!
    feeling so inspired! going to run out and pick up some supplies tomorrow, too excited to get started on this project!

6. Starco Jewellers

These concrete love hearts necklaces are wonderful. Thanks for showing how to make them. Any tips to remove the air bubbles that form while mixing the concrete that appear like holes when the concrete is dried.

1. fran Post author

Thank you Antoinette! Can I ask you where you found me (if you can remember) Everyones loving this post at the moment and I don’t know where you’re all coming from. I want to thank the source :) x

1. Sashanna

Your hearts showed up in a Pinterest email called 7 DIY Jewelry Ideas You Will Actually Wear, or something. They are SO, SO pretty. I was wondering, if you spray the hearts with a fixative afterwards, would that help improve their integrity? I would love to make them with basic concrete if possible, as I don’t know if my husband will like them (he has a childhood bias against concrete, seriously) but I want them to be able to hold up. I saw the hobbycrete, but would rather not shell out that kind of money for my first jewelry project.

1. fran Post author

Thank you so much for clearing that up Sashanna!

I’ve not found anything that will harden the concrete consistently apart from using the hobbycrete so far. The only other option is to use a bezel seting like one of these to back the concrete and give it some stability. You’d have to pair up a mould and setting the same size though.

Thanks xx