This is some serious hardware right here. The chain is a necklace that’s just slightly too long, but too strong for me to alter. Perfect for the bag handle. I’m one of those horder types that never throws anything away. So I have around 5 broken black leather handbags. So I decided to start using them in DIYs. Good bit of upcycling for you right there.
- Cut a 30cm strip from an old leather handle or broken belt.
- Split the two sides apart creating a tube.
- Starting about 1.5 inches from the edge, use a scalpel knife to cut two slits into one side of the leather and push a stud into them. Make sure it doesn’t go through to the other side.
- Put studs evenly along the leather.
- Push the chain through the “tube”
- Fold in each end of the leather to create a clean edge.
- Make sure the chain is even on both sides of the leather.
- Attach key rings to the ends (note, the lobster clasp was NOT strong enough for my bag) and attach securely to your bag.