This week at Checkmybox HQ we’ve been getting a bit carried away planning for our stand at Shambala Festival. Nice thoughts of making carnival themed attire sat out in the sun with cocktails in hand. All fun and games until it comes to day four of windswept, dried out, rained on (lets hope not) beer covered, spray dyed, dry shampoo overkill, crazy lady hair… no-just me? This year I’m planning ahead. I’m making like, a hundred of these, just in case, and because it’s dead easy too.
ps. The sunglasses aren’t just a nod to festival sun. It was so bright in our studio I couldn’t keep my eyes open! haha!
- Cut out a piece of fabric that is 4 inches longer than the diameter of your head and just over half that length thick.
- To tie dye your fabric scrunch it into a ball and wrap elastic bands/cord tightly around it.
- Pop it into dye for a 10 minutes. Make sure all the fabric is covered in dye.
- Rinse out and leave to dry
- Cut the fabric into two strips length ways to give you two long thin strips.
- Put one on top of the other to create a cross.
- Fold the bottom strip over the top strip, bringing the two sides together. Then pull the two remaining ends together.
- Wrap it around your head and tie it up. You could sew this for a neater finish, or leave a longer length to create a bow. I’m ok with a good old fashioned knot myself.
I think lace and brightly patterned fabrics will glam this up a bit (less washer woman, more lounging on the beach) Any other ideas?