This will more than likely be the first of many chainmail DIY posts here on Fall For DIY. I tend to get obsessed with materials and idead and right now this is my new favourite technique. Creating chain takes you right to the heart of DIY jewellery making as well as being pretty therapeutic. Another fantastic aspect of making your own chain is being able to make your own jump rings as delicate or bold and as big or small as you wish giving you creative control over your chain.
1. To update spikes for Spring 2014 give them a couple of coats of pastel nail varnish.
2. Open up a jump ring and thread on two (or more) rings onto that. Close the jump ring and then do the same with another ring.
3. Add another two jump rings to those previous two rings. You should now have three chain links.
4. Continue to add links until you have the desired length.
5. Add two smaller jup rings to the ends with the clasp on one side and the extension chain on the other.
6. Open up the links of the extension chain and thread a spike on each then close up again.